Wasaga Beach fire sends homeowner to hospital

0

A Wasaga Beach man is lucky to be alive after a fire broke out in his home Monday morning, likely started by a lit joint, witnesses say.

The man was apparently asleep when the flames ignited. Neighbors say the 49-year-old, who had lived in the house for years, woke up to the smell of smoke around 11 a.m. in the one-story house on North 30th Street.

“Luckily he was able to escape,” said Deputy Chief Craig Williams of the Wasaga Beach Fire Department.

Witnesses said a quick-witted friend and neighbor helped get the man to safety. He was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Although firefighters quickly brought the blaze under control, the interior of the house was badly damaged. Williams said he would probably have to be emptied, leaving the man unable to return for some time.

No one else was in the house at the time of the fire.

Firefighters said there did not appear to be any smoke alarms in the home.

They said smoking equipment and paraphernalia were found in the house and believed to have caused the fire.

“This is the second fire at Wasaga Beach in three days, and in both cases there was a large fire and people were able to narrowly escape,” Williams said.

It is not known whether any charges could be brought.

Share.

Comments are closed.