MYRTLE BEACH, SC (WMBF) – A little New York will fill Myrtle Beach’s Market Common this time on Friday.
Thousands of people are expected for Southern Times Square’s ninth annual New Years celebration. They will reduce the event a bit this year.
âThe people dress well, the festival vibe, everything is fun,â said Rakesh Jain, whose family comes from New Jersey for the holidays.
Jain says he and his family have already made the entire New York City Times Square drop in person.
This year he’s looking forward to having all of that experience in a few states further south, where it might not be as hectic.
âI think being here we’ll have the opportunity to do whatever things we want during the drop,â Jain said.
The Jain family won’t be the only ones coming from afar to attend the ninth annual Southern Times Square.
Market Common marketing assistant Lynn Makris says they have people coming from all over the country.
âIt’s a little different from last year because we were in the middle of COVID and there were a lot of restrictions and apparently it rained a lot,â Makris said. “This year we don’t have those restrictions and we expect some really great weather.”
The Market Common changed the way tickets were handled for the event last year to benefit businesses that may have struggled during the pandemic and were used to larger crowds.
They carried over this ticket model into this year: to get a ticket, you have to spend $ 25 or more at a Market Common business this week.
You can then present the receipt for that purchase to the Common Market Office near Crepe Creations, where they will issue a ticket for the night.
Rakesh says it won’t be a problem for him as he already has plenty of receipts from his family vacation.
âWhile we are here, we have supported local businesses and the community,â Jain said. âIt’s a fun place.â
Over the next few days, teams will start to settle in for the group, the wine and beer garden, the fireworks and the balloon drop, so you can expect road closures in the area. from Friday morning.
While many pandemic policies have been lifted, many security policies are still in place, listed below.
– A maximum of six (6) tickets per person / family will be distributed.
– PARKING is limited, consider using a transport network company or the shuttle service provided.
– FREE SHUTTLE SERVICE will be provided from the ball fields (Grand Park Athletic Complex) to Market Common. For the map, click here.
– TRANSPARENT BAGS ONLY: NO handbag, purse, bracelet, backpack, diaper bag of any kind other than TRANSPARENT will be allowed. BEST OPTIONâ¦ come without a BAG at all for faster entry.
– All bags and strollers are subject to search.
– An ID is required at the entrance for anyone planning to consume alcoholic beverages.
– NO WEAPONS of any kind will be allowed.
– NO ANIMALS, CHAIRS, BICYCLES will be allowed inside the barricades.
– NO EXTERIOR FOOD / DRINKS will be allowed in the event venue, with the exception of food purchased by a Market Common restaurant
For more information, click here.
Copyright 2021 WMBF. All rights reserved.