Hearing adjourned for man charged with second degree murder


A man accused of murdering a long-time Banff resident has appeared in court for the second time, the hearing has been adjourned until the first week of September to allow more time to complete disclosure.

CANMORE – A man charged with the murder of a longtime Banff resident made his second court appearance Wednesday (August 24).

The hearing was adjourned to the first week of September, with John Arrizza remaining in custody. RCMP charged the 22-year-old with second-degree murder on Aug. 6 and the investigation is continuing, police said.

Ethan Enns-Goneau, 26, was killed on August 5 at Dancing Sasquatch after being stabbed in the bathroom after recently arriving at the bar with a friend.

Arrizza’s attorney, Calgary-based defense attorney Katherin Beyak, said her client will remain in custody until the next hearing.

“He is content to remain in custody until then and, given the nature of the charge, he obviously cannot hold a bail hearing in provincial court,” she said. . “He’s just staying in custody until then.”

Beyak said they were continuing to await disclosure – which allows for the exchange of information between the Crown and the defense – and initially requested a brief adjournment in hopes it would be ready for the hearing on 24 august.

Arrizza did not appear for the court hearing, which lasted less than two minutes, but is being held at the Calgary Remand Center until at least the next hearing. He briefly appeared via CCTV during his first appearance on August 10.

On the now-deleted Instagram and Facebook pages, Arrizza had several skateboarding videos in places such as Queen’s Park in Toronto, Wasaga Beach and Barrie.

He attended Bear Creek High School in Barrie and played in the Barrie Colts minor hockey program and one season with the North York Renegades of the Greater Metro Junior Hockey League in 2015-16.

The attempts of the Outlook to reach Arrizza’s family and friends have been unsuccessful.

Several people who asked to speak anonymously to the Outlook said Arrizza was relatively new to the tourist community, having arrived in June.

Several people told the Outlook Enns-Goneau and the friend had just arrived. The friend had gone to the bar, while Enns-Goneau went to the toilet.

While the friend was at the bar, a doorman from Dancing Sasquatch ran to the bathroom and started performing CPR on Enns-Goneau and the friend – also a doorman at Melissa’s – drove to the hotel Mount Royal to get a defibrillator and help him.

Police and paramedics arrived around 2:30 a.m. and took Enns-Goneau to Banff Mineral Springs Hospital where he died.

Friends and family pointed out that there was no fight and that Enns-Goneau was ambushed at the nightclub.

Born and raised in Banff, he was well known in the community, participating in sports such as rugby, soccer and hockey.

Since his death, Enns-Goneau has been remembered by the entire community of Banff.

A celebration of life was held Friday, August 19, at Melissa’s Missteak, where Enns-Goneau had worked as a bartender and held various jobs since she was 13.

The memorial service brought together several people dressed in festive Hawaiian collared shirts

A memorial to Enns-Goneau stands outside Dancing Sasquatch, with flowers, photos and messages written on the sidewalk to remember the lifelong resident of Banff – who was often referred to as Sweet Baby E or Sweet Baby Ethan . He was also remembered for his kind, calm and friendly personality.

The City flag was also lowered in memory of Enns-Goneau.

Arrizza had been kicked out of Melissa’s Missteak following alleged online comments he made to women who knew people who worked at Melissa’s, owner Bunny Julius told the Outlook earlier this month.

The company has scanners for the identification of people who will come either to let the person in or if they have been banned. Julius said it helps to avoid any potential situation and manage it through gatekeepers.

Enns-Goneau had no interaction with Arrizza, Julius said.

A post on the Dancing Sasquatch website said the bar would be closed until further notice.

The Enns-Goneau murder is the first in the city since 1990, when 18-year-old Ryan Jason Love stabbed 23-year-old taxi driver Lucie Turmel to take away her $130-a-night wage.

Love was sentenced to 20 years in prison and released in 2012.

A GoFundMe was created for the Enns-Goneau family with a goal of $4,000 and donations quickly exceeded the $4,000 goal. By Wednesday afternoon (August 24), the campaign had raised $80,000.

For more information visit: www.gofundme.com/f/sweet-baby-e-memorial-fund.

For those in need of support, the Banff Mineral Springs Hospital offers mental health services daily between 2 p.m. and 9 p.m. The emergency room is also available for support.

People can also contact Bow Valley Victim Services at 403-760-0197 and 2-1-1 can connect people to mental health or counseling services.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the Banff RCMP at 403-762-2226.

Reports can also be submitted anonymously to Crime Stoppers by phone at 1-800-222-8477 or online at https://crimestoppers.ab.ca.


Comments are closed.