COVID-19 News: Simcoe Muskoka Records 24 New COVID-19 Cases Friday

0

BARRIE, ONT. – Twenty-four residents of Simcoe Muskoka tested positive for COVID-19 on Friday, for a total of 138 cases this week.

Of those infected, 18 are not vaccinated, three partially and three completely.

The health unit lists new cases in Gravenhurst (4), Barrie, (3), Essa (3), Orillia (3), Huntsville (2), Innisfil (2) and single cases in Adjala-Tosorontio, Clearview, Collingwood, Lake of Bays, Penetanguishene, Wasaga Beach and Muskoka Lakes.

The Stevenson Memorial Hospital chief of staff said as the fourth wave continues, it’s not the number of cases that matters so much. This is the number of hospitalizations.

“The vaccine is intended to convert dangerous cases into mild cases. So the number of cases in and of itself is not of concern,” Dr Barry Nathanson said in an interview with CTV News.

“At best, by the way, vaccination gives 90% protection against serious disease, but that leaves about 10% unprotected,” he explained. “These figures translate into a number of hospitalizations.”

LAST VACCINE

In Simcoe Muskoka, 72% of eligible residents received at least one dose of the vaccine.

Anyone born in 2009 or before can be vaccinated.

On Wednesday, the province announced it will implement a vaccination certificate program requiring proof of immunization to access specific indoor environments, such as restaurants, cinemas, gyms and casinos.

Since the announcement, the Simcoe Muskoka Health Unit has reported an increase in the number of people receiving the first injections.

WHERE THE NON-HIKING CLINICS ARE OPEN

The health unit is offering first and second doses of COVID-19 vaccines at several locations in the region without an appointment required.

Here is a list of pop-up clinics open in Simcoe Muskoka this weekend:

Fri 3 Sep
11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Shopper’s Drug Mart – Georgian Mall (Lower Level)
509 Bayfield Street, Barrie

Sat Sep 4
Downtown Barrie
Dunlop Street, Barrie
10:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.

Shopper’s Drug Mart – Georgian Mall (Lower Level)
509 Bayfield Street, Barrie
11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Bracebridge Farmers Market
Memorial Park – Manitoba St., Bracebridge (next to the Norwood Theater)
8:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

Rivermill Park
Dara Howell Road, Huntsville
11:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.

Sun, Sep 5
Market 400
2207 industrial park road, Innisfil
9:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.

Main Beach – Playland Park Square (parking lot)
40 Mosley Street, Wasaga Beach
4.30 p.m. – 8.30 p.m.

Shopper’s Drug Mart – Georgian Mall (Lower Level)
509 Bayfield Street, Barrie
11:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m.

Residents should bring a health card to the clinic and be prepared to wait 15 minutes after receiving their dose.


Source link

Share.

Leave A Reply